Monday, March 16, 2015

The staircase and the sea

We all have our favourite places to sit. A place where we want to run to when in the need of finding ourselves. May be actually its not our favourite sitting place; its a place we are most comfortable with when at the business of facing ourselves; our sorrows, our disappointments, our dilemmas. We face them there, sitting tucked up in ourselves and we return back victorious to face the world again. Like, these places are a source of energy; they feed us with hope and determination again. I know, many of you are already thinking of that staircase in the office! 

And the dreamy ones! You are already thinking of the sea. I am excited about moving to Mumbai for many things. That it happens to be a city with the sea is one of them. Life is busy, there will be work and tight schedules, plus the chores at home. May be I will be left with no time to go and sit by the sea. My friend Siddhangana tells me how rarely she went to Marine Drive when she was in Mumbai. Or was it Shivani who told me so? My memory fails  me as usual, but I remember the warning my friend gave me. But despite the warning, and the reality of a busy life - its a pleasure just to know that the sea is out there, waiting with open arms. That the day I need it, I only need to run to it. It's there.

So what does the sea do to me? Or a staircase to you? Why do you need to sit in that old chair in the balcony when lost in thoughts? Why she needs to hug that particular cushion when in tears? Why he makes his way to that recliner when upset?

I do not know. I think its like having a favourite aunt or uncle. Some people, and places too, just sing back to us. And as long as there are some songs around at the time of need, we will keep going back there. So hail the staircase, hail the sea!

No comments:

Post a Comment